The history of 613 Rue Royale, the site of New Orleans’ famous Court of Two Sisters restaurant, dates back to 1732–just fourteen years after the founding of the city, when it was the site of the home of Louisiana’s second governor.
Beginning in 1886, the legendary “two sisters,” for whom the building and courtyard are named, operated a notions shop on the ground floor of the mansion. Located in the very center of “Governor’s Row,” 613 Royal became the focal point of Creole society. In many ways, the romance and history of the largest courtyard in the Vieux Carre epitomize the charm, the ambience, and the lifestyle of “America’s most European city.”
A tribute to the history that has made the restaurant famous throughout the world, the cookbook has been revised and updated with new recipes from the acclaimed kitchens. The history of the courtyard and the French Quarter offers an intriguing background for the recipes that follow–recipes that are Creole-inspired and taste-tested by the discriminating palates of tens of thousands of customers.
Although originally from New York, Mel Levitt became a fixture in New Orleans television on WDSU in the 50’s and 60’s. Considered one of New Orleans’ leading historians and foremost television and radio personalities, he died in 1997.
In 1963, the late Mr. Joe Fein, Jr., an established local restaurateur, acquired the restaurant and immediately began steps to preserve the building’s historical integrity. Mr. Fein’s sons, Joe III and the late Jerry Fein, continued with their father’s dedication to The Court of Two Sisters and now their children, the third generation, are directing the day-to-day operations and maintaining the legacy of the property’s history and reputation. With the Fein family’s expertise, The Court of Two Sisters has become known worldwide for its live Jazz Brunch, romantic Creole dinners, friendly service and beautiful, open-air courtyard.